This is a recipe I promised Jennifer after I read that she was in a (minor) cooking slump. Been there, sister. This is my favorite one-skillet meal. It's really good and actually is pretty healthy too. And, miracle of miracles, my picky eaters actually love this one!
Santa Fe Skillet (it used to be called something lame like chicken-salsa skillet but that wasn't festive enough for me)
package of boneless chicken breasts
2 cups instant rice
jar of salsa
can of chicken broth (I use low-sodium)
can of black beans (drained)
can of corn (drained)
cheddar cheese (grated- I use almost a whole block!)
1. Wash the chicken and cut it up into small bite-size pieces. Set aside.
2. Grate the cheese.
3. In a large pan, cook the chicken pieces until done. (I put a small amount of oil first.)
4. When chicken is done, add the can of chicken broth, salsa, corn, and black beans. Stir and let come to a boil.
5. When boiling, add the rice (2 cups) and stir.
6. Top with grated cheese, turn off heat, and cover with lid. Let stand for 5 minutes, covered.
This makes a really yummy, cheesy southwestern style meal. I like it with chips but my husband likes it on a tortilla with a little lettuce and sour cream. Two additional notes:
*When I'm out of instant rice, I just cook a pot of rice, only add about 1/3 the can of broth for flavor, and stir cooked rice into the mix instead of instant rice. I think it's even yummier that way, but the instant rice is fine.
* I keep threatening to shred the chicken. I don't like "chunks" in my food. Gee, I wonder where Brother gets his picky eating habits?