Thursday, February 7, 2008

thanks Beck! and a book recommendation

Well.
If you're reading this chances are that you found me via the QUEEN of Canadian family blogs - Beck. Beck suspects we may be long-lost twins, and if that were found to be true, it would confirm my childhood suspicions that I did in fact have a sister whom my parents traded for my brother. (Wanting a boy and all that rot.) Beck, are you also a princess of a small and unknown, yet incredibly wealthy, country? Because I was always convinced that I was one of those too.
Anyway, thanks for visiting my little blog, and thanks a million for the shout-out, Beck!

Lately, when I've had five minutes here or there to read, I've been reading Mitten Strings for God: Reflections for Mothers in a Hurry by Katrina Kenison. I will admit that I approached this book warily. I admire mothers of all kinds and respect that there are many approaches to parenting. I have strong opinions about how I parent and what is right for my family, but that doesn't mean that I think other people with different approaches are wrong. (Unless they are the parents of the child who sat next to me in a restaurant last week and who was an ABSOLUTE TERROR.) But in general, I think this parenting thing is really very hard and we all do the best we can and don't need to give each other crap.
Having said that, I will say that I am always rather skeptical about some of the newer-age approaches to parenting. (While also finding bits and pieces that I think are brilliant about those approaches.) At first glance, I thought Mitten Strings For God was going to be a little too far out for me. I looked at the chapters titled things like, "Peace" and "Rhythm" and "Healing" and thought I had bought a lemon. (Actually, a lemon scented incense stick.) Now having read several chapters, I think it is the best parenting book I have ever read.
Kenison's writing voice is encouraging, entertaining, and authentic. She doesn't demand that I mother my children in a certain way, she just gently pushes me toward being the mother I am, only better. Hers is not a book of activities, but after I read it for a while my head is spinning with ideas. It is the kind of book I will keep on my nightstand and reread frequently. I highly recommend it. If anyone else has a parenting book that really impacted them and helped them to be a better parent, please say so in the comments.
"In stillness, we find our peace. Knowing peace at home, we bring peace into the world."- Katrina Kenison

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I've heard of that book, but still haven't read it. Grace Based Parenting was one I had wanted to read for a while, and it sort of changed my thinking for the better. I'm reading Sacred Parenting by Gary Thomas now and loving it.

Yes, I'm here via the Queen.

Shannon @ Some Fine Taters said...

Also here via Beck.

I just finished reading Mitten Strings for God. Actually, I still have the afterward to finish up. How's this for irony: I read the book in brief minutes snatched while accompanying my youngest into the bathroom for potty breaks.

Beck said...

I was always convinced that I came from terribly interesting origins, too.
I've read that book! You're right about it coming across like a lemon insense stick and actually being great - wonderfully put.

Kelly @ Love Well said...

So I found two great reads today -- you and the recommended "Mitten Strings for God." And since I'm nursing a newborn these days, I'm always in the market for good reading material.

So glad Beck linked to you. You're in my Bloglines account, so I'll definitely be back.

Sheila said...

Thanks for the review. It sounds like a book that would be beneficial. I tend to run around mentally if not physically.

I found your blog through Frog and Toad are Still Friends.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I'm from Beck's place, too.
And yes, I just ordered the book. I'm a sucker for books!!! Especially after your description, which was just as ingeniously worded as Beck's would have been. High praise, indeed.