Thursday, February 28, 2008

Pete Seeger

I was so tired last night, but I got sucked into a program on ETV about the life of folk musician, Pete Seeger. I had heard of him before, and am familiar with some of his songs, but had no idea what a fascinating life he has led. I would now count myself as a big fan, and I really want to hear a lot more of his music. (The first three songs on my music widget are all Pete Seeger songs- though not performed by him.)
I was really struck by the way he has used music to draw people to a cause, such as civil rights, war protests, or saving the environment. Whether you agree with his politics or not, you have to admire his dedication to peace and non-violence and his love for his country. He was the driving force behind cleaning up the Hudson River and was the founder of the Clearwater movement. If you can, do try to catch the program. It's good stuff. Here's one of my favorite quotes- (I think this was in response to being called a liberal.)
"I like to say I'm more conservative than Goldwater. He just wanted to turn the clock back to when there was no income tax. I want to turn the clock back to when people lived in small villages and took care of each other."
I think I'm with him on that one.
It's interesting- there is something afoot these days in our culture. It's been around for a while, but only on the fringe, never mainstream. But it's gaining momentum, and people are talking, and making changes. Even big business is starting to take note. I can't put my finger on one word to describe it, but I think you will know what I mean. It's that feeling that things aren't quite right. That, hey! I don't want to feed my kids pesticides anymore. And, hey! What is all this plastic JUNK doing in my house? And, hey! Maybe natural medicine IS better! And, hey! Why am I spending my evenings watching TV programs about other people living life instead of actually living my own? (Exception: Pete Seeger program. :- It actually inspired me to live my life- better.) And, hey! Maybe I don't WANT to be available all the time via email, IM, phone, Blackberry, etc.
Maybe the word is natural. Or green. Or unplugged. I'm not sure- but it definitely is here, and gathering on the horizion like a thundercloud, and I like it. I see it in other people's blogs, like Jennifer's and Rebecca's and Jade's. I see it at the grocery store in all the new organic products. I see it in my own life as I make choices with new guiding parameters. (Is this natural? Is this worthwhile? Is this helpful or harmful- to us, to our world?) I'm definitely no Soule Mama yet, but I'm a lot closer than I was a year ago.
Interesting stuff, friends.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think you're right - and what is it, exactly? I'd be hard pressed to put my finger on it, either. I recently read a very fascinating (to me) article about how retro kitchens are all the rage, everyone is buying "the best" updated kitchen equipment but they want it to look like their moms.

And they don't use it.

Why do we do that as a culture? Obviously, we're feeling like we've left something behind. We're noticing the fact that we are disconnected, tired, and unwell. Too many fluorescent lights flickering everywhere we go. But it's the path of least resistance.

I'm not against technology (obviously), nor science, nor progress. But it seems we've labored under the delusion that if we can, we should, and that more is better. MAYBE, hopefully, people are realizing there is a pricetag - you can't have it all and have it all be perfect.

So then the question is - what are you willing to pay? Some things are worth the pricetag, some aren't, and each family has different tolerance levels and different needs and wishes. I just wish people would THINK again - consider what they really want and then deliberately go do something about it.

Maybe they are.
Great post - and thanks for the link!

Jen